Sunday

It's time to start overcoming fears, and becoming fearless.

Let's pretend that I'm writing a motivational self-help book. Somewhere in the Preface or Introduction (that no one would read), I'd have some witty saying, like... "Power is fear under control." I don't know if that makes any sense, because I just now made that up, but you get it. And then there'd be some line about me helping you finally get your life together to achieve your wildest dreams and riches you thought were impossible.


It's not a self-help book, unless it claims to help you achieve the impossible. Remember that.

But, seriously, I really need to overcome my fears.


So, I'm taking myself to a movie. I am. I'm my own date, and I'm paying. I may even buy myself lunch at a nice eatery. I'll say "So, where do you want to go eat?" And I'll answer, "Oh, I dunno. You know me, I'll eat anything. You've been to all of my favorite places. You pick." And then I'll say, "Yeah, me too. I was there. I don't care. It's whatever you want."


Honestly, I've only seen one movie in the theater by myself. I saw Terminator III SNEAK PREVIEW the day before it came out. Yeah, I said it. You're saying "Seriously?" I'm saying "Yeah, seriously. Shut up." And I saw it just because I really wanted to. That was it. I FELT like it, so I did it. That, and I said to myself that it was an exception to the usual rule that only people with no friends see movies alone. I know, now, that's not true, namely because I'm about to do it, and I have friends, except they've already seen the movie I want to see, and I have no other friends who have yet to see who can see it with me, today. I suppose I'm most afraid of being like people I don't want to be like... and I'm the girl at the movies, alone. Someone may look at me and think I'm a loser who couldn't even find someone off the street to the coolest movie of the year. That's the fear, I think. However, there's nothing wrong with being at the movies, alone (unless you're anti-social, because that's just weird), and I'm about to prove it. Man, I may like it so much I won't even ask other people to go to movies with me....

Just kidding. Maybe. But seriously.



And I need the alone time. I need to change many things about myself, and I've been confronted with that, lately, in the scariest, yet most refreshing way. I know I have a lot to lose if I don't, but I also know that what I have to gain by doing it far outweighs the cost of struggling with it, at first. I don't know how to explain it, but perhaps you know how it is. Afraid of something? Take action. Thinking about it and hoping for the best is NOT action, though. That's the other thing I learned, recently. I have many actions to take in the near future, and I will take them all, like free food samples at Wal-mart (can't have just one!).

No comments:

Post a Comment